Embrace Your 2020 Silver Lake Vacation Plans
With the unpredictable nature of COVID-19, it’s natural to be a bit confused about what areas of the state are currently “open” and where you can go for a safe and fun vacation this summer. Rest assured, you can still enjoy an awesome summer vacation in Silver Lake!
Below, we’ll answer some of the questions you may have concerning this topic. The following comprises the most up-to-date information concerning the COVID-19 pandemic and safe travel to the Silver Lake Area. However, please continue to check the Think Dunes Facebook page for new updates and potential changes.
Yes! The Silver Lake Area Is Open for the 2020 Summer Season!
Right now, many of the businesses in the Hart and Silver Lake area are open and ready to serve customers in one way or another. And with the Stay Home, Stay Safe order being lifted on June 8th, the remaining businesses will be reopening this week.
Even though things will certainly be different for all of us this year, we invite you to embrace your plans to vacation in Silver Lake this summer!
Here’s what you need to know about what’s open right now:
- The opening of the Silver Lake Sand Dunes ORV Area was delayed. Opening day is slated for June 13th. More information can be found on the Michigan Department of Natural Resources website, and on the Dune’s/Safety Information page.
- You can still enjoy the Dunes on foot any time. The Pedestrian Area of the dunes is open for hiking and sightseeing.
- ORV rental locations will be opening once the Dunes ORV area is open (June 13th).
- Mac Woods is opening June 13th for dune rides although you can visit their gift shop before the 13th. Be sure to check in with them for updates!
- Wave Club Watersports is open for all of your water sports rental needs.
- Silver Lake and Hart area hotels are now open, and campgrounds are open now with safety guidelines in place.
- All Silver Lake Area restaurants are currently open for the season and inside dining starting on June 8th, with safety guidelines in place.
- Little Sable Point Lighthouse will be closed all year for inside tours, but feel free to explore the outside on your trip to the the beach.
The Ideal Place for Vacation While Social Distancing
Unlike urban destinations and other congested “hot spots” in the state, the Silver Lake Area is rural, spread out, and open. This makes it uniquely ideal for safe social distancing. There’s plenty of room to have your own space while staying 6 feet (or more) away from others. Moreover, spending time outside has been proven much safer than staying inside when it comes to the spread of COVID-19.
Looking for safe things to do in the area? Here are some ideas:
- Visit Lewis Adventure Farm & Zoo, an outdoor and family friendly attraction. Or visit their Farm Market.
- Hike or bike on area trails and in parks
- Enjoy the Dunes, 7 days a week 9am – 10pm!
- Participate in virtual events like the Ryan Walsworth Virtual Spear-It 5K
- Enjoy a round of golf at a scenic course
- Try your hand at fishing on one of our many lakes or streams
- Soak up the sun on one of our sandy beaches
- Spend the day on the lake with a water sports rental
- Go for a toured horseback riding adventure
- Craigs Cruisers Opens June 12!
Don’t Miss Out on a Safe & Relaxing Visit to Silver Lake This Summer!
The Silver Lake Area is uniquely open and spread out, making it ideal for social distancing and outdoor activities. Moreover, local businesses are going the extra mile to ensure optimal safety for their customers and workers. From making takeout and curbside pickup available, to offering delivery and online shopping options, area commerce is eager to assure visitors that Silver Lake is open for business!
Wishing everyone a safe and happy summer season and hoping to see you soon in Silver Lake!
What do YOU love most about the Silver Lake area? Share your shots with the tag #ThinkDunes for a chance to be featured.