Countdown to Opening Day: Dune Ready Checklist
As we move into March and the first signs of spring, the DNR postponed the original open and is planning to open the OVR Area on May 1st. To help you and your crew ready yourselves and your vehicles for the season, we’ve put together a quick Dune Ready Checklist. Look it over to make sure you’re Dune Ready when May 1st rolls around!
Ready for Summer on the Dunes? Use This Checklist to Find Out
The following list of requirements is for visitors wishing to ride private motorized vehicles (off-road vehicles or ORVs) in the ORV Area of Silver Lake State Park. Others who don’t have their own vehicles may rent ORVs at one of several rental locations in Silver Lake. If you wish to walk or hike the dunes, you may certainly do so as well. Just be sure to go within park hours, and stay in the pedestrian area where vehicles are not allowed.
If you plan to bring your own off-road vehicle to the dunes, review the checklist below. Make sure you satisfy all of the following statements. Remember that failure to meet the necessary requirements and standards may result in being denied access to the ORV area, so always plan ahead!
To be “Dune Ready” this 2020 season, make sure …
- You are either one of the following:
- 16 or older with a valid driver’s license.
- 12 or older with an ORV Safety Training Certificate obtained through the Michigan DNR (these individuals may only operate ATVs and motorcycles and must be under parental supervision).
- You have an ORV Permit.
- You have an ORV Trails Permit.
- You have a Recreation Passport.
- If you have an off-road vehicle, it is 4-wheel drive.
- Your vehicle tires are filled to a maximum of 15 PSI.
- You have an international orange safety flag on your vehicle.
- If you have a 4-wheel drive vehicle, your safety flag is mounted to the front bumper of your vehicle, 10 feet off the ground.
- If you have an ATV or motorcycle, your safety flag is mounted to the rear of the vehicle, 10 feet off the ground.
- Your vehicle meets the sound level rules and testing requirements.
- Your vehicle has seat belts (occupants must be belted at all times).
- If your vehicle does not have a metal roof or a roll bar, occupants are wearing American National Standards Institute (ANSI) certified helmets or the equivalent at all times.
- If your vehicle does not have a windshield, occupants are wearing eye protection at all times.
Learn more about Michigan DNR dune requirements according to your vehicle type.
Put These Dune Events on Your Calendar!
Here are some notable events coming up at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes:
Silver Lake Sand Dunes Jeep Invasion
When: Friday, May 29 & Saturday, May 30, 2020
Where: Silver Lake Sand Dunes State Park & Golden Sands Golf Course
Michigan DNR Free Fishing & ORV Weekend (no fishing or ORV license required; no state park admission required)
When: Saturday, June 13 & Sunday, June 14, 2020
Where: Throughout the state of Michigan
Start Planning Your Trip Today!
It’s never too early to start planning your getaway to Silver Lake. Whether you’re prepping for days in the sun driving on the dunes or lying on the beach, we’ve got it all right here. Start making getaway plans today by booking your preferred lodging and perusing the many things to do in the area.
We’ll see you soon for Opening Day — May 1st!
What do YOU love most about the Silver Lake area? Share your shots with the tag #ThinkDunes for a chance to be featured.