Get Ready Dune Enthusiasts, Opening Day Is Almost Here!
The Silver Lake Sand Dunes are the perfect destination for dune and ATV enthusiasts. With three designated areas — the Pedestrian Area, ORV Area, and the area leased by Mac Woods Dune Rides — there’s something for everyone.
2023 Season Opening Information
Get ready to experience the thrill of the dunes! Silver Lake State Park opens for ORV use on April 1st, so start planning your adventure now. Early season is the perfect time to explore and take in all that Silver Lake has to offer. For a guided tour, don’t forget about Mac Wood’s Dune Ride – their first day starts on May 12th.
Silver Lake State Park ORV Hours
Silver Lake State Park ORV area is open April 1 – Oct. 31 each year.
- April 1 – April 30 (9 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
- May 1 – Sept. 15 (9 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
- Sept. 16 – Oct. 31 (9 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
Please note: Access to the ORV area and dunes is stopped ½ hour ahead of closing time each evening.
To be “Dune Ready” this 2023 season, following this checklist:
- You are either one of the following:
- 16 or older with a valid driver’s license.
- 12 or older with an ORV Safety Training Certificate obtained through the Michigan DNR (these individuals may only operate ATVs and motorcycles and must be under parental supervision). Please note, children under 12 years old may not operate an ORV/ATV in Silver Lake State Park. Children under 12 may be passengers in ORV’s. Only one person is allowed to ride on an ATV-Quad wheel vehicle or dirt bike.
- You have an ORV Permit.
- You have an ORV Trails Permit.
- You have a Recreation Passport.
- If you have an off-road vehicle, it is 4-wheel drive.
- Your vehicle tires are filled to a maximum of 15 PSI.
- You have an international orange safety flag on your vehicle.
- If you have a 4-wheel drive vehicle, your safety flag is mounted to the front bumper of your vehicle, 10 feet off the ground.
- If you have an ATV or motorcycle, your safety flag is mounted to the rear of the vehicle, 10 feet off the ground.
- Your vehicle meets the sound level rules and testing requirements.
- Your vehicle has seat belts (occupants must be belted at all times).
- If your vehicle does not have a metal roof or a roll bar, occupants are wearing American National Standards Institute (ANSI) certified helmets or the equivalent at all times.
- If your vehicle does not have a windshield, occupants are wearing eye protection at all times.
- View all rules and requirements the Silver Lake State Park DNR lists directly on their website.
No need to bring everything with you – let our ORV outfitters take care of you! Our local experts are available to provide all the necessary vehicles, accessories and support so that you can enjoy a safe and exciting adventure on the dunes. Come as you are and get ready for a perfect day at Silver Lake.
- Silverback Offroad ORV Rental – Opens April 1
- SunBuggy Silver Lake ORV Rentals – Opens April 1
- Silver Lake Buggy Rentals – Opens May 19
Whether you arrive already prepared or not, DuneLand Off-Road Center has everything you need to make the most out of your trip. You can easily find them just off of the dunes, ready and waiting with fuel, parts, and more.
Something To Do All Summer Long
The busy season at Silver Lake & Hart Area starts on June 1st and continues until September 15th. Don’t miss out on the fun – there are plenty of exciting events happening throughout the summer!
- June 1 – 4: Silver Lake Sand Dunes Jeep Invasion
- June 10 – 11: National Asparagus Festival 50th Anniversary
- July 4: Thunder Over the Dunes Fireworks
- August 4 – 5: Bronco Takeover
- August 22 – 26: Oceana County Fair
- September 8 – 9: Silver Lake Sand Dunes Apple & BBQ Festival
Plan Your Silver Lake Sand Dune Trip, Today!
Start planning your escape to Silver Lake now! Enjoy days of sun and sand on the dunes, relax on the beach, or take part in some of the many recreational activities available. Book your stay and find out what makes this destination so special.
Opening Day is April 1st – make sure you join us then!
What do YOU love most about the Silver Lake area? Share your shots with the tag #ThinkDunes for a chance to be featured.