Disability Network West Michigan
PEER SUPPORT, INDEPENDENT LIVING, INFORMATION, ADVOCACY
Connection people with community resources and improving independent living for everyone.
Disability Connections of West Michigan, Battling Barriers…Becoming Accessible
Visit our website for more details.
Disability Connection/West Michigan of Muskegon, Oceana, Newaygo, Lake, and Mason Counties has been in operation as a Center for Independent Living since 1999. In the beginning it was known as the Disability Awareness Council which was funded solely by donations, and run by volunteers. Since then some things have changed.
Our name and location have changed, our funding has changed, our leadership has changed, but our goals and passions remain constant:
- We advocate, educate, empower, and provide resources for persons with disabilities.
- We promote accessible communities.
The population we have served and continue to serve includes:
Individuals who have a disability and their families/friends
- They may be any age
- They may be people with substance abuse or people with criminal backgrounds
- They may be people who receive SSI, SSDI, or other entitlement funds
- They may be transitioning from school and/or work